About the Statewide Management Organization (SMO)
The Louisiana Behavioral Health Partnership managed by DHH-OBH oversees the Behavioral Health Statewide Management Organization (SMO), Magellan Health Services of Louisiana. Magellan manages behavioral health services for Medicaid and Non-Medicaid eligible populations served by the Office of Behavioral Health (OBH), Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS), the Department of Education (DOE) and Office of Juvenile Justice (OJJ) and funded through state general funds and block grants, including services for individuals with co-occurring mental health and addictive conditions.
In their role as the SMO, Magellan is improving access, quality and efficiency of behavioral health services for children not eligible for the Coordinated System of Care (CSoC), and adults with Serious Mental Illness (SMI) and Addictive Disorders. Also, Magellan is developing a qualified provider network to offer a full array of services to meet the needs of people with behavioral health challenges.
Selecting Magellan as the SMO, is necessary to assist with the State's system reform goals to:
1. Foster individual, youth, and family-driven behavioral health services.
2. Increase access to a wider array of evidence-based home- and community-based services that promote hope, recovery, and resilience.
3. Improve quality by establishing and measuring outcomes.
4. Manage costs through effective utilization of State, federal, and local resources.
5. Foster reliance on natural supports that sustain individuals and families in homes and communities.
Magellan has offices in Baton Rouge and Shreveport and employ over 200 persons. With Magellan becoming the SMO, citizens now have:
•Increased access to care;
•Access to services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year when and where they need them;
•Greater involvement in care decisions; and
•A better chance at leading successful and full lives in their communities and in their homes.
A member handbook and services authorization criteria have been posted on the Magellan of Louisiana website. Members and Providers can also contact Magellan by: